I am addicted to red cabbage in this period, as its flavour perfectly matches with my eldest kid’s taste. It’s also cold outside and soups are my favorite friends in these days. I am a mum of two with a very little time to cook but I want to eat healthy in particular after Christmas season. For all these reasons I want to share with you today a very easy recipe to do with a pressure cooker. Mine is an italian Lagostina and I can say it has become one of my most-used bits of kitchen kit. It’s a convenient way to spare time as food cooks in around a third of the usual time and I really recommend it because flavors and aromas remain unchanged even using very little seasoning so that the dishes are easily digestible and very light.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 red cabbage
- 200 gr/7 oz lentils
- 800 ml/28 fl oz water
- handful of pistachio nuts to decorate
- salt to taste
- Tomato pure concentrated to taste
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40 min from the level of pressure reached (with the pressure cooker)
- Heat the olive oil in the pressure cooker, then add all together the sliced red cabbage, lentils, salt, tomato purè and cold water.
- Close the pressure cooker and when the pressure is reached, lower the heat and try to maintain the same level of pressure for 40 minutes.
- Cool then pureé until smooth with food processor. Serve with a drop of oil and toasted pistachio nuts to taste.
- I usually freeze it in little portions for my toddler.
- As I am breastfeeding I prefer to use red split lentils.
- Try the raw cabbage in a salad with apple, a handful of olives, a few leaves of arugula, olive oil, salt and balsamic vinegar
- Don’t give pistachio nuts if your child is under 4 years old
Pistachio nuts contain many antioxidants that maintain healthy eyes and skin. They are also rich in potassium (972 mg / 100g) which helps you feel less tired and weary.
I would love to try this but I don’t have a pressure cooker..? How could I go around this?
Hi Thalia, I suggest to boil cabbage for at least one hour. Then in a pan sautè shallot, add the cabbage, tomato pure and lentils (already cooked), add salt to tasty. Heat for 15 minutes. Let it stand and then purée until smooth. I have never try in this way, please let me know! 🙂
Che risultato fantastico, di effetto. Non vedo l’ora di provarla.
Davvero buona e sana, ti dico i miei bimbi me la chiedono 🙂