This is the first language misunderstanding. In Italian we call this type of pie, plumcake (one word), that can be sweet or salty. If I am not wrong, this is not an english name because it doesn’t exist as a only word. By the way, I call it as we do in Italian.
I love vegetables, I really like them, I can be happier with a courgettes pasta than with a piece of meat. My son Andrea is very happy to eat vegetables too and he is only two years old. In my opinion, introducing every kind of vegetables in childhood helps to better appreciate them.
On the contrary, my partner is not a real fun of vegetables at all, he could eat meat every day if I cooked! So I have been always trying to find different ways to help him to eat vegetables. So I have started to prepare pies and this is one of my favorite: plum cake with courgettes!
I have prepared a gluten free version with buckwheat, however you can use white flour as well!
- 400 gr courgettes
- 200 gr feta
- 70 gr Philadelphia
- 180 gr buckweat
- 50 gr wholenuts
- 100 ml whole milk
- 100 ml extra vergin oil
- 3 eggs
- 20 gr baking powder
- salt to taste
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40 min 180C
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Wash corgettes in cold water, then top and tail each courgette. There is no need to peel them. Slice the courgettes and place in a steamer. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until tender.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and beat them with salt.
- Pureé courgettes until smooth with food processor, then add 30 g whole nuts. Leave some nuts to decorate at the end.
- Place the puree of courgettes in the bowl with eggs. Then add milk, oil, Philadelphia and buckweat. Stir well.
- Oven for 40 min and let the plumcake stand. Wait at least 1 hour before eating.
- You can serve it either warm or cold together with a chilled dry sparkling wine (may I suggest Gewurztraminer?)
Please tell me if you like it. Any comments are really appreciated!
Thanks for reading. I am waiting for you again here once in a while.