Europe is one of our favorite places to travel to, there’s something for everyone regardless of when travel there. History, culture, delicious food, just to name a few. We love traveling to Europe as a family, so I am coming up with this list of our favorite 5 best European countries to visit with kids.
If your motto is “the greatest legacy we can leave our children is happy memories”, you’ll be glad to know that these 5 countries are within a reach. To save money on your travels, check the late deals and book in advance.
Ready? Set? Go!
Indice dei contenuti
Best European countries to visit with kids: Italy
Apart that we are from Italy, I believe that in this stunning country there’s so much to do with kids. There are many family-friendly cities and places, iconic landmarks a wonderful Mediterranean climate, a wealth of history and natural beauty places to last several lifetimes
Italy offers a great mix of culturally interesting cities like Venice, Rome, Naples, Florence, and Milan which are full of history, art, and architecture… not to mention beautiful isles of Sicily and Sardinia.
We travel often to the south Sardinia and we usually love every minute of it. Beautiful beaches and crystal-clear sea, delicious food, fruit and gelato.
Top things to do in Italy with kids
- Milan: If you only have a weekend in Milan, you should visit the Duomo di Milano, Castello Sforzesco, Parco Sempione, Acquarium and Planetarium.
- Rome: among our favorite are the Colosseum and the Pantheon which are a must-see in Rome and great way to get a glimpse of Roman history for kids. Villa Borghese has the Rome Zoo and Explora, a stunning museum for children.
- Tour the canals of Venice: a great way to see Venice with kids is by the Vaporetto, Venice’s public transportation system, that runs the complete length of the Grand Canal from Piazza Roma to Piazza San Marco.
- Cagliari and South Sardinia: beautiful beaches with blue tropical sea, where kids can splash and dig in the smooth sand. Don’t miss to try Malloreddus, a small shell shaped pasta, that your kids will love.
- Florence: the Renaissance city is a must-see for anyone traveling through Italy. It not only is a paradise for art lovers, but is filled with beautiful gardens, as Boboli gardens and museums for kids as Galileo Museum.
Best European countries to visit with kids: United Kingdom
As expat, we have the opportunity to fell two countries like home. The United Kingdom is a great place to go with kids with many iconic landmarks that kids will immediately recognize from books and movies and stunning kid friendly museums.
For families visiting UK, it’s fun to just stay in London for a week and do day trips to smaller cities like Bath, Windsor, Cambridge, Oxford. If you want to explore England’s own beautiful rural locations, then the Cotswolds, Devon, or Cornwall should be on your list.
Top things to do in the United Kingdom with kids
- London: this city is simply great to visit with kids with lots museums that are simply perfect for them as the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum or the London Transport Museum. You should visit one of its magnificent Royal parks, and visit kids’ heaven, Hamleys in Regents street.
- Legoland Windsor: this is a great family day trip from London, as it’s just one hour far. This theme park with lots of thrilling adventures and plenty of Lego bricks scattered among the rides, is great for families with kids below the age of 12.
- Stonehenge: the most sophisticated stone circle in the world is just one hour far from London and it is something to do with kids as they can appreciate this open-air prehistoric monument of unique importance.
- Oxford: a must-see visit for all the Harry Potter fans, it is a small city which makes walking around easy. You can choose among the many Oxford museums, the Christchurch college and panting on the river.
- Cambridge: with its historic colleges peppering the city centre, free parks the Botanic Garden and the ever-present companion River Cam, this is a great family day out just one hour by train from London.
Best European countries to visit with kids: Spain
Spain has incredible cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Malaga, Seville, Marbella so full of art, architecture, museums, and parks. It is a perfect family destination with plenty of kids’ playgrounds in the biggest cities.
The country is filled with many historic landmarks; however, families can head also north for mountains and coastal villages.
Top things to do with kids in Spain
- Barcelona: Barcelona has loads to offer kids, with Sagrada Familia, CosmoCaixa science museum, the Tibidabo amuseument park. Don’t miss to taste the Xurros, deep-fried dough sticks that your kids will love!
- Retiro Park: this Madrid park is perfect for a family stroll, or picnic. You can also go on an entertaining boat ride around the lake while also enjoying art exhibitions and live performances.
- Malaga: a great escape to enjoy the mild weather during cold winter, Malaga has beautiful beaches and some very interesting historic and cultural points of interest. You can read more about Malaga here)
- Valencia: Valencia has several famous landmark perfect for families. There is an interactive science museum and an underwater world of Oceanografic the whole family will love. Bike riding here is also quite exciting.
Best European countries to visit with kids: France
As a family, we love visiting France. Croissants, baguettes and crepes, mon dieu! France is a magnificent country and it is famous for its beauty, architecture, art, fashion, and world-class cuisine.
There is a corner of France that charms everyone, however my kids’ favorite is Paris.
Top things to do with kids in France
- Paris: feeding the ducks in the Tuileries Gardens and playing in the Jardin du Luxembourg; catching views from the Eiffel Tower or Centre Pompidou. Enjoy the city incredible art museums, Seine river cruises, and beautiful parks.
- Disneyland Paris: something memorable that you should not miss while in France with kids with many great rides, play areas, parades, and shows, your kids will also get to see their favorite Disney characters.
- Castles in the Loire Valley: you will love munching through local delicacies – from macarons to moles frites, while visiting castles.
- Aix-en-Provence: the “little Paris” of Provence, with its pedestrian center, the extraordinary urban spaces such as those of the Town Hall squares and the cathedral and the Mazarine district.
- Lyon: there is a huge park with a small zoo that is free to visit
Best European countries to visit with kids: The Netherlands
Known for cities like Amsterdam and Rotterdam, the Netherlands are a small country and you can easily get everywhere by car or train.
Also home to some of the world’s most famous artists, like Van Gogh and Rembrandt, the Netherlands provides children with a bit of artistic culture.
Top things to so with kids in the Netherlands
- Amsterdam: we loved riding the bicycles along the canals and in the parks and swing by the NEMO Science Museum for hands-on exhibits that include a chemistry lab with experiments for young scientists. Older kids will appreciate Anne Frank Museum and Van Gogh Museum.
- Rotterdam: the Netherlands second largest city, after Amsterdam, has plenty of things tat your kids will enjoy: Miniworld Rotterdam, Blijdorp Zoo, Plaswijck Park, nature playground the Speeldernis, playground De Stormpolder, the Tax and Customs Museum and Villa Zebra are only a few.
- The beach Zandvoort: one of the closest beaches to Amsterdam, will offer you peace and quietness while sunbathing.
- Zaanse Schans: great place to visit with kids about a 1-hour bus ride from Amsterdam. Here you can explore windmills.
This is a sponsored post.